Property Search
Advanced Search

  1. I just purchased a home recently. How do the records for Fort Bend Central Appraisal District get updated to show my ownership?

    1. Once you purchase the property your Title Company will file the Deed with the Fort Bend County Clerk's Office
    ****Note: The date of your closing could be different than the date the Title Company actually files your deed.****
    2. Once that Deed record is recorded with the Fort Bend County Clerk’s Office the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District receives a weekly update 1-2 days a week of all Deed record changes.
    3. All Deed record changes are then recorded in the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District system to match what has been filed with the County Clerk’s Office.
    4. It takes about 4-6 weeks for our records to get updated.
  2. I don't see the Online Protest Button?

    The Online Protest button is only available during protest period beginning April 15th.
  3. I have a question about paying my taxes.

    Fort Bend Central Appraisal District does NOT collect, bill, invoice or handle any property tax bills. We ONLY APPRAISE Property in Fort Bend County.
  4. My property information is wrong. How do I get it changed?

    If there is any information on the property that is incorrect you can mail a detailed letter to our address here at 2801 B.F. Terry Blvd. Rosenberg, TX 77471. Please include all the information regarding the property, the reason the information we have is incorrect, and your contact information. You can also come in person to our address here at 2801 B.F. Terry Blvd. Rosenberg, TX 77471. Please bring all the information you have regarding the property.You can call us at 281-344-8623 to speak with a representative. Please have your account#, or the property address ready when calling.
  5. Where are the photographs and sketches?

    Effective as of Sept 1, 2005 the Fort Bend County Appraisal District Website will no longer display photographs and building sketches for all property. In accordance with Senate Bill 541, as passed by the Texas Legislature, information in appraisal records may not be posted on the Internet if the information is a photograph, sketch, or floor plan of an improvement to real property that is designed primarily for use as a human residence. Photographs and building sketches of property will still be available for viewing by the public at the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District Customer Service Area located at 2801 B.F. Terry Blvd, Rosenberg, Texas during normal business hours.
  6. How current is the information on your site?

    The information shown on the website is as of certification date. Any property ownership or value change after certification will not show on the website until the following year when the website will show preliminary data on April 15th.
  7. I don't want my information available on the web. How do I get it deleted?

    The data that is being presented on this website is public record and available under laws governing the public's right to access public information. We cannot selectively remove or withhold this information.
    Under Section 25.025, Tax Code defines who can have their information secured. If you feel you qualify for what is allowed by law. You can complete form 50-284 and return it to the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District. The web site for the application is
  8. Does the Appraisal District get audited?

    The CAD appraisals are audited by the State each year. Appraisals must be 100% of market value to ensure that school districts will not lose any state funding.
  9. How do I find additional property tax information?

  10. I didn't get a tax bill, what do I do?

    Fort Bend CAD does not bill, invoice your taxes. We only appraise property for Fort Bend County. Please contact your taxing entity about your tax bill.
  11. Can I get a list of all sales?

    Per Section 22.27 of the Texas Property Tax Code, the Appraisal District is prohibited from disclosing sales information gathered from a private source. Taxpayers who have protested their property are entitled only to a list of sales used to value their property.
  12. I missed the deadline to file a protest, what can I do?

    You have the option to send a written letter addressed to the Appraisal Review Board requesting a notice of protest be granted explaining good cause for failure to file the notice on time.

    Address the letter to:
    Appraisal Review Board
    2801 B. F. Terry Blvd
    Rosenberg, TX 77471

    Per Section 41.44 (b) of the Texas Property Tax Code, A property owner who files his notice of protest after the deadline prescribed by Subsection (a) of this section but before the appraisal review board approves the appraisal records is entitled to a hearing and determination of the protest if he shows good cause as determined by the board for failure to file the notice on time.
  1. Who determines the tax rate?

    The CAD only appraises property. The local governing bodies determine the tax rate.
  2. Can my value be legally based on something other than market value?

    There are provisions for valuing agriculture/timber land at production value, exemptions for homeowners, persons over 65 years of age, exemptions for disabled veterans, etc. If you value notice fails to indicate any exemptions or special valuation to which you feel entitled, please contact the appraisal district immediately.
  3. Why do I receive a notice of appraised value?

    The primary purpose of the notice is to inform you of the value place on your property, so you can determine if you wish to protest.
  4. What is Valuation Date?

    Section 23.01 of the Texas Property Code states that "all taxable property is appraised at its market values as of January 1".
  5. What is Market Value?

    Section 1.04 of the Texas Property Code defines market value as follows: 'the price in which a property would transfer for cash or its equivalent under prevailing market conditions if: (A) exposed for sale in the open market with a reasonable time for the seller to find a purchaser: (B) both the seller and the purchaser know of all the uses and purposes to which the property is adapted and for which it is capable of being used and the enforceable restrictions on its use; and (C) both the seller and the purchaser seek to maximize their gains and neither is in a position to take advantage of the exigencies of the other".
  6. How is the actual rate established?

    After determining the taxing unit's total budgetary needs, its elected governing body decides what actual tax rate it must levy to generate the amount of revenue needed.For example, the total assessed value of a jurisdiction is $10 million and $100,000 is needed for its budget. To fund the budget, its governing body must set a tax rate $1 per $100 valuation ($10 million multiplied by $1 / $100 valuation equals $100,000).
  7. What can I do if I disagree with my value?

    1. An informal meeting with an appraiser, if an agreement is not reached, then;
    2. File a written protest for a hearing before the Appraisal Review Board (ARB).
    You will be notified of your hearing date and time after your protest is filed. You are not required to be represented by an attorney. Evidence must be presented to the ARB in the following manner:
    A. In person; or
    B. By an authorized agent; or
    C. By affidavit (a notarized sworn statement)
    At the conclusion of the hearing the ARB will issue an order determining value and inform you of post ARB appeal.
  8. Is there any disadvantage to me if I appeal?

    No, In fact, your local government encourages you to appeal if you sincerely question your assessment. Our taxing jurisdictions would like for all tax payers to be satisfied within the legal limits set by the state, and at the same time for everyone to be on a fair share basis. In the great majority of cases when an appraiser finds the taxpayer right, an adjustment is made immediately. The appraiser would like for each property owner to be satisfied. However, the appraiser has a duty to all taxpayers to be fair.
  9. Who is the Appraisal Review Board (ARB)?

    The ARB is an independent panel of citizens responsible for hearing property protest.
  10. I haven't gotten my Tax bill who do I call?

    Fort Bend CAD does not collect or bill taxes. Fort Bend CAD ONLY Appraises Property for Fort Bend County. Please contact your taxing authority for your property.
  1. When can I protest?

    The protest period begins April 15th through May 15th.
  2. What is the average wait time to see an appraiser during protest period?

    We recommend you arrive as early as possible. During the early part of the protest period the average wait times are usually less then 1 hour but during the end of the protest periods have been 4+ hours.
  3. Can I leave and return later?

    You may leave but you will lose your space in line and your wait time may be extended due to additional protestors.
  4. How long is the protest interview?

    Procedurally the interview should last approximately 15-20 minutes.
  5. Will I have an opportunity to gather new information after I speak with an appraiser?

    You are encouraged to bring all pertinent documentation when you arrive for your interview; however, the appraiser can discuss further options with you.

Homestead Exemption Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a Homestead?

    A homestead can be a separate structure, condominium or a manufactured home located on owned or leased land, as long as the individual living in the home owns it.
    A homestead can include up to 20 acres, if the land is owned by the homeowner and used for a purpose related to the residential use of the homestead.
  2. What Homestead Exemptions are available?

    • General Residence Homestead
    • Age 65 or Older Exemption
    • Age 55 or Surviving Spouse of individual who qualified for Age 65 or Older Exemption
    • Disabled Person Exemption
    • 100% Disabled Veterans or Surviving Spouse of Disabled Veteran who received the 100% Disabled Veteran’s Exemption.
    • Donated Residence Homestead of Partially Disabled Veteran or Surviving Spouse of Disabled Veteran who qualified for Donated Residence Homestead
    • Surviving Spouse of Member of Armed Forces Killed in Action
    • Partially Disabled Veteran or Survivor (not limited to your homestead).
    • Charitable, Religious, Freeport and Pollution Control.
  3. Do all homes qualify for a Homestead Exemption?

    No, only a homeowner's principal residence qualifies. To qualify, a home must meet the definition of a residence homestead:
    The home's owner must be an individual (for example: not a corporation or other business entity) and use the home as his or her principal residence on January 1 of the tax year.
    If you are age 65 or older, or disabled, the January 1 ownership and residency are not required for the age 65 or disabled homestead exemption.
  4. How much will I save?

    An exemption removes part of the value of your property from taxation and lowers your tax bill. In addition to the state mandated exemption amounts for school taxes, each taxing unit decides whether to offer the optional exemption and at what percentage. For example, Fort Bend County offers a 20 percent exemption for the Homestead exemption. If your property were valued at $200,000 and you qualify for the 20 percent Homestead exemption from the county ($40,000), you would pay county taxes on your home as if it were worth only $160,000. The amount of savings depends on the exemption and the amount of exemption allowed by each taxing unit.
  5. Do I, as a homeowner, get a tax break from property taxes?

    You may apply for homestead exemptions on your principal residence. Homestead exemptions remove part of your home's value from taxation, so they lower your taxes. For example, your home is appraised at $100,000, and you qualify for a $15,000 exemption (this is the amount mandated for school districts), you will pay school taxes on the home as if it was worth only $85,000. Taxing units have the option to offer a separate exemption of up to 20 percent of the total value.
  6. When do you apply if you are turning 65?

    You may apply on or after your 65th birth date. Once applied it will have an effective date of January 01 of the year you are applying.
  7. Is it true that once I become 65 years of age, I will not have to pay any more taxes?

    No, that is not necessarily true. If you are 65 or older your residence homestead qualifies for more exemptions which will result in greater tax savings. The amount of the exemptions that are granted by each taxing unit is subtracted from the market value of your residence and the taxes are calculated on that “lower value”. In addition, when you turn 65, you may receive a tax ceiling for your total school taxes; that is, the school taxes on your residence cannot increase as long as you own and live in that home. The ceiling is set at the amount you pay in the year that you qualify for the aged 65 or older exemption. The school taxes on your home subsequently may fall below the ceiling. If you significantly improve your home (other than ordinary repairs and maintenance), tax ceilings can go up. For example, if you add a room or garage to your home, your tax ceiling can rise. It will also change if you move to a new home.
  8. Do I need to file an application when I turn 65 or is it automatically added?

    The appraisal district can only automatically process the over 65 exemption if it has the appropriate documentation on hand. Fort Bend CAD requires proof of age to grant an over 65 exemption. Acceptable proof of age includes either a copy of the front side of your Texas driver's license or Texas Identification card or a copy of your birth certificate. It is always best to file an exemption application with the appropriate documents to ensure that the Over 65 exemption is processed.



Every effort has been made to offer the most current and correct information possible on these pages. The information included on these pages has been compiled by County staff from a variety of sources, and is subject to change without notice. The Fort Bend Central Appraisal District makes no warranties or representations whatsoever regarding the quality, content, completeness, accuracy or adequacy of such information and data. The Fort Bend Central Appraisal District reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice. Original records may differ from the information on these pages. Verification of information on source documents is recommended. By using this application, you assume all risks arising out of or associated with access to these pages, including but not limited to risks of damage to your computer, peripherals, software and data from any virus, software, file or other cause associated with access to this application. The Fort Bend Central Appraisal District shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of any cause relating to use of this application, including but not limited to mistakes, omissions, deletions, errors, or defects in any information contained in these pages, or any failure to receive or delay in receiving information.said or implied.